Memorial Day Breakfast Recipe: Buttermilk Syrup
Homemade Buttermilk Syrup Recipe
Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 5 minutes
2 c. sugar
1 c. buttermilk
1/2 c. butter or margarine
2 tsp. light corn syrup
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1. Bring sugar, butter, buttermilk, and corn syrup to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat.
2. Let boil for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. (I usually let it boil for the full 5 minutes, but if you want a thinner syrup you should only let the mixture boil for around 1 minute).
3. Remove from heat and add baking soda & vanilla. Stir.
4. Serve warm over pancakes, waffles or even ice cream. You'll be tempted to eat it plain it's THAT good. ;)
- I love pairing this with whipped cream, strawberries, raspberries, & blueberries to add something patriotic to celebrate!
- The original recipe was half of this one, but it makes a very small amount. We always double it to feed the whole family! (And to make room for seconds, because trust me - everyone will want seconds!)
- It also saves super well, so put it in the fridge & you can enjoy this syrup for days to come!
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do. It is the perfect touch for a festive breakfast or a breakfast for dinner kind of day! You can throw this together so quickly & get back to remembering your loved ones this Memorial Day. If you make this recipe make sure to tag us @ivycityco on social media! Have the sweetest Memorial Day!